of Ingle Hall
Town in the 1840s
Hall - Hobart's Georgian gem
research has been done into the subject of this building's history. Yet,
despite the investigations by historians, scholars and architects,
mystery still surrounds the building's origins.
Georgian-style building, undeniably one of the oldest surviving
buildings of its type in Australia, was not known as "Ingle
Hall" until the latter part of the 19th century. Until then,
official documents refer to it simply as "the building on the
corner of Macquarie and Argyle Streets, Hobart."
was its first occupant? Early settlers and merchants John Ingle or Edward Lord?
They were friends; both came to old Hobart Town in 1804 with Lieutentant -Governor
David Collins; and both are known at some stage to have owned the building.
is divided as to whether John Ingle was its first occupant as early
as 1811, or whether it was his friend Edward Lord. Even the date is disputed.
Its occupancy could have been as much as three years later in 1814. The problem
is, before 1822 Tasmania - or Van Diemen's Land as it was then known - had
not established an official government records office.
great-great grandson, the late Mr E. R .Henry, of Hobart, extensively researched
the subject and concluded Ingle Hall was in fact established in 1814 by his
from Reverend Robert Knopwood's Diary in November 1814, "a great ball and supper was
given by Mr and Mrs Lord to all ladies and gents in the colony, the greatest
dinner given in the colony." Knopwood was a good friend of both Lord and Ingle.
is also documentary evidence that Lord sold the residence and store on that
site to John Ingle in 1831 for £4000 as part of a debt. However, that is not
to say Ingle had not previously owned the building.
the years, Ingle Hall has known many owners - and been used for many purposes.
1846, it was the site of the first Hutchins School for boys, a role it served
until the completion of the new Hutchins School further up Macquarie St (on
the corner with Barrack St) three years later.
manager Stephen Firth and his colleague, conservation architect and
planner Peter Freeman, were commissioned by the Mercury to plan and
supervise the 1997-98 restoration of Ingle Hall, in preparation for
the development of the Print Museum.
concludes that even though the building was named after John Ingle,
an owner and proprietor for many years in the early 19th century,
the "common name" for the building is rather less than accurate.
He concludes: " the building was conceived and built by Edward
Lord, the noted early soldier and merchant."
earlier conservation study of the Ingle Hall site was commissioned
by the Mercury in 1992 and done by Hobart architects Crawford, Cripps,
and front landscaping had been classified by the National Trust. The register
of the National Estate lists the site and its buildings, and the Hobart Planning
Scheme's heritage register lists the site as being significant and includes
the site within its Heritage Area.
a result of the 1992 study, general restoration work, including re-roofing
and the installation of fire protection equipment, was done at Ingle Hall.
Richard Crawford concluded in his report that opinion was divided "50-50"
as to the origin of Ingle Hall. He
concluded the building was more likely to have been built as a wharehouse
in 1812, and finished in 1813. Crawford's research concludes that when then
Lieutenant Lord returned to Hobart Town about that time he, in partnership
with Ingle, sold merchandise from this house.
research shows Ingle left the colony in 1818 to return to England
with his family, leaving his considerable financial affairs in the
hands of local agents. When he left, never to return, Ingle sold much
of his land to Lord.
became a magistrate in England, and left a considerable estate in
Orleigh, Devon, when he died in June 1872, at the age of 91. His
Tasmanian estate was valued at £2081.
- In 2012, Ingle Hall was visited by Ingle's great-great-grandson from South Africa.
Ingle Hall through the Ages - A chronology:
circa 1814 to 1846: Residence and store/wharehouse (Edward Lord, John Ingle,
Lewis and Sons, et al)
- 1846-1849: School house (the original Hutchins School)
- 1850-1890: Residence (Moore, et al)
- 1890-early 1900s: Tasmanian Coffee Palace ( Anderson, Archdiocese of Tasmania,
- 1935: Boarding house
- 1949-50: Crown Lands Department purchased the building.
- 1950-1962: Used by the State Government as the Lady Clark Memorial Library.
- 1962-2013: Owned by Davies Brothers Limited, proprietors of the Mercury.
- 2013: Sold to a new owner along with the surrounding "Mercury" buildings on Macquarie and Argyle Sts.