Drink swim deaths rise
(Present article at first without the graphs)
- Imagine that you are required to represent the data in this
article to someone who hasn't read it, what would be the most
effective way to do this?
- Why do you think drinking alcohol, increases the incidence
- Why do you think 12% of deaths occur in private pools in
contrast with 1% in public pools? What factors are involved here?
How many people resulted in these reported percents?
- What makes swimming between the flags at the beach so much
safer than outside of them? What percent of people drown in this
- 61% of all drowning deaths occurred in rural areas; what
do you think are the reasons for this?
- Create your own Water Safety Poster incorporating some of
the data from this article.
- Explain the variation you see in the bar graph. Why is the
65+ bar so high?
(Written by Susie Best, BTeach student, University of Tasmania,
Where to next?
Index - Related
Index - Data
- Numeracy in the News